I usually do not follow trends... but this summer's emphasis on colour blocking has made me obsessed- I absolutely adore these bright colours, mixed with classy neutrals and some funky jewelry. All that's missing is the palm trees and a couple margaritas!
inspiration
Marc Jacobs Spring 2011 Ready to Wear
This collection was so incredible. I adore the colours- raspberry, lilac, mustard yellow and oranges... so beautiful! The floaty and weightless fabrics were also gorgeous.
Jil Sander (left) and BCBG Max Azria (right) Spring 2011 RTW
Aquascutum 2011 Spring RTW
This is more wintery- but still love the orange sweater and skirt, and the classic neutral pastel coat is beautiful!
my take on colour blocking:
1. I probably wouldn't mix more than a couple of colours at once... 3 maximum (you don't want to look like a clown!)
2. have fun! mix tops with skirts, jackets and pants (skinny or wide leg), dresses and clutches... even a bright lipstick!
3. try to have at least one neutral colour incorporated into the outfit- my pick would be a nude heel (the higher the better!) It will make your limbs look miles long.
4. experiment with fabrics- silk tops with spandex skirts.... jersey maxi skirts with cotton tanks or silk jackets... tailored cotton trousers with jersey or silk shirts or camis!
Tops: I just recieved the BCBG catalogue in the mail, and the colour blocking is amazing! I love how they paired floaty silk shirts with bandage skirts, and tight tanks with floaty skirts! Fabulous!
These are all from BCBG.
Skirts: love these picks all from Anthropologie.
I am loving the turquoise pencil skirt! I think something white and pink would look beautiful... maybe even a yellow or orange!
I really want to pull off a maxi skirt look- but my hometown will prohibit that.. it's hard to pull off in a cold climate and conservative spectators!
I love the creamsicle orange sorbet-like colour! Pair with nudes and aqua blue!
Dresses: Zara has some beautiful colour-block dresses! Here are some of my favourites:
Coral is my ultimate favourite colour for summer!! It looks gorgeous on anyone, and makes your skin glow! The dress at right, I tried on today, and it is PHENOMENAL for summer. Too bad I was $100 bucks short :( but seriously, the cut is SO flattering, and the hemline is the perfect length, and the deep v neck... gorgeous.
Love how
Arianna rocked the orange and white dress!
The orange dress is so reminiscent of the Calvin Klein that
Emma Stone wore on the red carpet at the Golden Globes, loved it on her!!
I love this colour- and this dress is definitely one that must find its way into my closet :)
Accessories:
I love the skinny belts from JCrew- especially the nude and coral pink ones... the tiffany blue one is lovely as well!
I love this starfish bracelet from Anthropologie!
If you wish to subtlety rock the colour blocking trend, simply choose a bright, vibrant nail polish!
All nail polish by Essie: Splash, Watermelon, Cute as a Button, Turquoise & Caicos, Lapis of Luxury!
Some of my fave LOOKBOOK.nu takes on the color-blocking trend:
I adore this shade of lime green- vibrant highlighter yellow!! So fun for summer and compliments a suntan like you wouldn't believe! Paired with the nude trousers works brilliantly, and the leopard skinned clutch is so perfect!

Love the nautical stripped top, and classic navy blazer... the pop of hot pink is surprising, but appealing... and the matching bag is gorgeous! I would have matched it with some navy closed toe pumps though!

I adore these 70s inspired floppy felt hats.. and I love the cobalt blue colour... mixed with the sequin jacket and the mustard yellow Balenciaga! Love! Blue and Yellow is such a classic combo!

Celebs/models rocking color-blocking!
Gucci was adored by so many celebs!! Here is model Chanel Iman and actress Camilla Belle wearing Gucci Spring 2011 RTW!
Lovely Emma Stone in Lanvin, and Emmy Rossum in J Mendel. I love how they chose 2 of the same colors, but just picked different tones to work with!
Jennifer Lopez in Gucci Spring 2011 RTW!
Color blocking reminds me of a Mark Rothko painting.
No comments:
Post a Comment