Monday, January 4, 2010

It's Complicated

Movie Review
starring Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin
This funny romantic comedy is about a divorced couple who have an affair after their 10 year split. I was so excited to see this one, as I am a huge fan of all Nancy Meyers movies (particularly Something's Gotta Give). This one is very cute, but I felt like a lot of the humor at the beginning of the movie was extremely inappropriate and unnecessary, and instead of laughing, I found myself nervously biting my nails and rolling my eyes. However, after the weird like humor permeating the first 20 minutes, it became extremely enjoyable and laugh-out loud funny, which is mostly owed to the hilarious John Krasinski and Steve Martin (they stole the show). Nancy Meyers is so talented in writing about people with such interesting past lives and personalities. I felt like I new Jane (Streep)- a mid-40/50 year old divorcee with an adorable patissiere business and a past of living in Paris learning about baking. The sets are so gorgeous, particullarly Jane's home, and the tight-bond among the entire family is very heart warming. If you (like I) love Meyers past movies, this one is definitely worth seeing. Effortless watching and warm-in-the-pit-of-your-stomach scenes (minus the one of Baldwin nude infront of the live chat screen of the laptop). The character of Steve Martin (Adam) as a fellow victim of a divorce, is so adorable and likeable- I was rooting for the Jane and Adam relationship ever since they shared the joint and made chocoalate croissants together (BEST 2 scenes ever!)
In the end, it became very sad however, and teaches a valueable lesson in love: it's different to men than it is to woman and that you want what you can't have.

No comments:

Post a Comment